Supporting UCLA faculty in advancing global health research
The DGSOM Global Health Program (GHP), in collaboration with International Health Services, is pleased to offer a Global Health Seed Grant Program, launched in 2019, to (1) support faculty involved in multidisciplinary global health research in low- and middle-income countries, (2) establish or further build long-term global research partnerships that address pressing health questions relevant to the local setting, and (3) strengthen the capacity of early-career investigators at UCLA and global partner sites.
The five awarded teams to date are using funds to collaborate with researchers and trainees in Mozambique, Vietnam, Peru, and Thailand, to launch initiatives focused on improving health and advancing health equity.
List of projects awarded in 2019 through 2023:
- A study of an adapted approach to HIV-exposed infant follow-up using fever as a criterion for testing to improve timely diagnosis and antiretroviral therapy in Mozambique
- Adapt the TransAction intervention for trans women with/at risk of HIV in Vietnam
- The use of long-term preserved corneas for perforated corneal ulcer in Vietnam
- A new algorithm to detect critical congenital heart disease at different altitudes in Peru
- Mixed-methods study to collect data about what affects adherence and engagement in care among hypertensive adults in Thailand
- Feasibility of Antenatal Syphilis and HIV Point of Care Testing to Prevent Mother-to-Child Transmission in Uganda
- Psychiatric comorbidity and recovery outcomes among STAR-OM patients in Vietnam
- Optimization of mHealth follow-up in Cameroon: A multi-methods approach
Awards are up to $50,000 for a period of one year. We anticipate that up to three grants will be awarded each year.
2024-25 Application process and timeline
Please see the Request for Applications with full details.
- All applicants are required to submit a Letter of Intent prior to submission of the full proposal. Due by 5pm on Friday, 10/13/2023
- Individuals invited to submit a full proposal will be notified the week of 11/06/2023. Please review the scoring criteria for reviewers and FAQs to help with your application.
- Full proposal due by 5pm PST on Thursday, 12/14/2023
- Awards announced: early-to-mid March 2024
- Award period: mid-March 2024 through June 30th 2025, contingent on receiving UCLA and global partner site Institutional Review Board (IRB) approvals.